A Study on the Determination Method for Wind Turbine Classes
- Few studies have been conducted on how wind turbine classes are determined when using wind data collected at heights below that of a wind turbine hub. The purpose of this study was to propose an ideal process using such data in order to determine wind turbine class. In this study, an important assumption was made that only one wind turbine was installed at a potential wind farm site, so the wake effect was not considered.
The Measure-Correlate-Predict (MCP) technique was performed to obtain the long-term wind data. Pyeongdae and Gujwa on Jeju Island, South Korea, were selceted as the measurement and reference sites, respectively. Consequently, a ten-year period of wind data was generated from one-year measurements.
For extreme wind speed (EWS), the wind shear exponent was analyzed to extrapolate the wind speed at hub height. Also the Gumbel distribution was used as an extreme distribution model and daily maximum wind speed was selected as the extreme data. Estimated extreme wind speed with a return period of 50 years was 43.3m/s at Pyeongdae.
For the turbulence intensity, a new estimation method was proposed to predict the standard deviation of wind speed (SD of WS) at hub height. This method is based on correlation analysis for the SD of WS with the height. The reliability of the method was also confirmed through an accuracy evaluation (showing less than 1% error rate at 15m/s). Estimated average turbulence intensity at 15m/s is /10 at Pyeongdae.
As a result, the appropriate wind turbine class at pyeongdae was class IC.
- Issued Date
- Awarded Date
- 2015. 8
- Alternative Author(s)
- Kang, Dong Bum
- 대학원 풍력공학과 풍력기계시스템전공
- Table Of Contents
- 1. Introduction 1
1.1 Background 1
1.2 Objectives 2
1.3 The method of study 2
2. Sites and wind data 5
2.1 Site descriptions 5
2.2 Sites, measurement conditions and wind sensors 6
2.3 Wind characteristics 8
2.4 Data Validation 12
3. The method for determining wind turbine class 13
3.1 Wind turbine classes on IEC 61400-1 13
3.2 Analysis of extreme wind speed 17
3.2.1 MCP (Measure-Correlate-Predict) application 17
126.96.36.199 Prediction of the wind speed 18
188.8.131.52 Prediction of the wind direction 22
3.2.2 Estimation of the wind speed at the hub height 25
3.2.3 Extraction of extreme data 27
3.2.4 Estimation of extreme wind speed at the huh height 29
3.3 Analysis of turbulence intensity 33
3.3.1 A new method for the standard deviation estimation of wind speed 34
3.3.2 The accuracy evaluation of a new method 38
3.3.3 Estimation of turbulence intensity at the hub height 40
4. Determination of the wind turbine class 42
5. Conclusions 45
- 제주대학교 대학원
- 강동범. (2015). A Study on the Determination Method for Wind Turbine Classes
Appears in Collections:
- Faculty of Wind Energy Engineering > Wind Power Mechanical System Engineering
- Authorize & License
- Files in This Item:
Items in Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.